Signs that you might need new attic insulation
Proper attic insulation can help keep your energy bills low all year round. However, old insulation may have lost its efficiency, letting heat escape driving up your energy costs, or worse.
There are a few telltale signs that that might mean it’s time to replace your old attic insulation:
- Unusually high in energy bills
- Your home heats up quickly when A/C is off
- The temperature in the house is constantly changing
- You are experiencing drafts inside your house
Let Balanced Comfort inspect your attic insulation to determine whether it’s in need of an upgrade or replacement.
Things that we look for include:
- Signs of small animals like rats or squirrels, such as discarded food or droppings. It is not recommended that you simply exterminate the rodents and keep the insulation, since there may be things invisible to you that may still be contaminating your insulation, such as feces or young.
- Wet or damp spots in your insulation. If you see moisture on the insulation, it’s time to replace it. Water-damaged insulation loses its effectiveness, and is prone to mold which is can cause serious health problems for you and your family if it’s inhaled.
- Holes or gaps in the insulation. Gaps in your insulation, whether from a poor installation job or other causes, can cause drafts and extreme energy leaks.
Finally, we end with a quick word of warning: it may be tempting to simply throw new insulation on top of damaged materials or do a partial replacement. However, doing this does not address the root problem and can end up costing you more money in the end. In some cases, it may even be unsafe or unhealthy. Please consult a professional to ensure your attic insulation issues are solved properly, for the healthy and safety of you and your family.
Let our attic insulation experts at Balanced Comfort serve you. Contact us for your attic insulation needs today.